Thursday, October 28, 2010

Mei Wah - Washington, D.C.; Chevy Chase, MD

One of my favorite restaurants in Washington D.C. is Mei Wah. For those of you who do not know, I attended Boston University and then spent a few years there following college. During those years, I became quite obsessed with Chinese hot spot, Chef Changs. (It since closed, which makes me truly sad.) Chef Changs made incredible dumplings and I indulged in them way too often (weekly). When I decided to move to Washington, it was imperative to me to find a Chinese restaurant with great dumplings. I did just that. In my opinion, Mei Wah has some of the best dumplings I have ever tasted.

For those of you who are dumpling connoisseurs like myself, you might be asking yourself what style of dumplings they are. Mei Wah's dumplings are thick and doughy, which is how I love them. If you are the type that likes a more refined dumpling, then I would not recommend Mei Wah for its dumplings. But in addition to the dough, the filling is outstanding. I am not much of a vegetable person, but I have to say the fried vegetable dumplings at Mei Wah are beyond scrumptious. I actually order those more often than the meat! (The meat are also very good.)

It turns out I am not the only one that likes Mei Wah. D.C.'s top political folk come to this Chinese mecca often. In fact, the restaurant is lined with photos of some of the most famous politicians. Who knew D.C. suits had a thing for dumplings?

Other favorites at Mei Wah include the meat spring rolls, fried rice (best fried rice I have ever had), special noodles and sauteed sesame chicken (the fried stuff is also good, too). For those of you who love Chinese, I highly recommend Mei Wah.

In a couple of months, I'll be taking my own dumpling cooking class. I hope my dumplings can stack up to Mei Wah's.

Mei Wah you get 4.5 out of 5 dumplings.

www.meiwahrestaurant.com

No comments: