Tuesday, October 5, 2010

Famous Luigis - Washington, D.C.

Sorry folks for not posting in a bit! It's been a busy time, but no excuses. Play like a champion. This is going to be my first bad review of a restaurant in a while. I have eaten at Famous Luigis a couple of times and have never really liked it. This past week, I decided to give it one more shot and was disappointed again!

I decided to order the tortellini, but instead of getting the cream sauce, I asked for pesto. The tortellini were pretty good, but the pesto sauce was too heavy and creamy. I personally prefer a lighter pesto without cream. I also felt I got short changed on the number of tortellini I got. I have noticed this before at Italian restaurants. You always get less when you order the stuffed pastas and I can eat a lot of pasta.

And now for my tirade about Italian food in D.C. It's time D.C. stepped it up. Now in full discretion, I have not tried Poste yet or the new Carmines in Chinatown or Casa Nonna in Dupont, so my point of view might change. If you are a true Italian food aficionado though, I would not recommend Luigis. The pizza is better than the pasta, but still not worth your cash. Luigis you get 2 dumplings out of 5.

Hopefully, Teatro Goldini will impress me this weekend and my impression of Italian food in this area will change!

http://www.famousluigis.com/

1 comment:

Aileen xenakis said...

Still loving this :)

I have to say, I loved Filomena, but I don't think you need such a production to eat good italian food - have you tried Pasta Mia in the Adams Morgan / Woodley Pk / Columbia Heights? It is AMAZING and the little old lady & old man who own it look JUST like my Italian relatives :) It's inexpensive, you can't make a reservation so you have to wait in a massive (outside) line, and you cannot beat it in DC. It took me forever to find it, though - you're right, DC's major failing is Italian food. Try filomena & pasta mia (wear a coat!) and let me know what you think!