Thursday, September 2, 2010

Il Radicchio - Arlington, VA

Il Radicchio is spaghetti heaven! 

My friend Laura suggested I try Il Radicchio when I first moved to D.C. and was looking for good restaurants in the Courthouse area of Arlington, VA.  She certainly knows how to pick good restaurants and she was right about this one!

What's great about the spaghetti at Il Radicchio is that it's all you can eat and you can select 1 of about 10 sauces that come on the side.  My personal favorite is the genovese (fancy word for pesto), but I also can't eat tomato, so my options are more limited.  Chris loves the bolognese and Il Radicchio (similar to a bolognese but has sausage) sauces if you are looking for a tomato option.  I am also convinced they add some sort of secret ingredient into the spaghetti because it is the best spaghetti I have ever tasted.  It must be laced with extra butter or something, but I promise you you don't even need a sauce on top of it.  A secret tip would be to order the sauteed mushrooms that are delish and a great topping on the spaghetti.

For those of you who do not like spaghetti (and you are crazy if that is the case) other good choices are the veal picatta, gnoccci bolognese and lasagna.  I do not recommend the pizza as much as the pasta dishes.  Now if it's ambience you are looking for, Il Radicchio might not be your top choice because it looks like a high-end shack from the outside and once you go inside it feels like you are in someone's kitchen, but the Italian food is superb.  And for those of you in D.C., you know good Italian food is hard to come by!  Il Radicchio you get 4.5 out of 5 dumplings... or perhaps meatballs is more appropriate this time. 

1 comment:

L&L said...

Oh how I miss some butter-laced pasta! 4.5 meatballs/dumplings sounds just right. I think the tables upstairs have a bit more "charm."